When we envision retirement, we think more about the things we’ll do to enjoy our time than about the person that we’ll become. My guest today encourages us to change that to spend more time thinking about who we want to be in the future.
Dr. Benjamin Hardy is an organizational psychologist, speaker, and author, in addition to being my coach. I have been involved in Dr. Hardy’s coaching mastermind group for 8 months and I’m excited to extend his teaching to all of you. Make sure to stick around until the end of the episode to hear how you can receive a FREE copy of his new book, Be Your Future Self Now.
Outline of This Episode
- [2:49] What are the benefits of learning about who we’ll become in the future?
- [5:02] How to assess the softer goals
- [8:20] How to future set your goals when your life expectancy is shorter
- [17:48] How to balance our future self with the present
- [25:52] Retirement Starts Today Super Book Giveaway details
How to create your future self now
Who are you going to be in retirement? This question is an important one to consider. Most people simply think that they will be the same person as they are now in the future without giving much thought as to who they will become.
Your future self won’t think the same way nor will they have the same priorities or goals that you do now.
To create your future self now, think about who you want to be in the future. What are the things that you want to do and enjoy, the things you want to learn, the relationships you’ll have, and the decisions you’ll make?
Next, try to see how you can create a shortcut to get there so that you can start making that vision your life now.
How to balance your future self while enjoying the present
Some people may wonder how they can enjoy the present when they are continually thinking about the future. Dr. Hardy doesn’t see the dichotomy between the two. He thinks that by living your life intentionally is a key to living in the present while preparing yourself for the future. The present life you choose to live connects you to your future self.
For example, if you would like to develop an amazing relationship with your partner in the future, you’ll want to start now by spending quality time with them.
When you prioritize the priorities in your life you’ll be both living for the present and creating an amazing future.
Retirement Starts Today Super Book Giveaway
I have 30 copies of Be Your Future Self Now to give away to my listeners. To get your own copy of Dr. Benjamin Hardy’s new book start by subscribing to the Retirement Starts Today newsletter. Once you are a subscriber then you can hit reply and agree to the following:
- You will read the book – bonus points if you give it to a friend when you’re done with it!
- Leave the author an honest (hopefully 5-star) review on Amazon
- Leave this podcast an honest (hopefully 5-star) review on whichever app you use to listen to this show.
Don’t miss this interview with my mentor, Dr. Benjamin Hardy. Learn how you can improve your life now by living for the future.
Resources & People Mentioned
Connect with Dr. Ben Hardy
- BOOK – Be Your Future Self Now by Dr. Benjamin Hardy
- BOOK – Personality Isn’t Permanent by Dr. Benjamin Hardy
- BOOK – The Gap and the Gain by Dr. Benjamin Hardy and Dan Sullivan
- BOOK – Who Not How by Dr. Benjamin Hardy and Dan Sullivan
Connect with Benjamin Brandt
- Get the Retire-Ready Toolkit: https://retirementstartstodayradio.com/
- Follow Ben on Twitter: https://twitter.com/retiremeasap
- Subscribe to the newsletter: https://retirementstartstodayradio.com/newsletter
Subscribe to Retirement Starts Today on
Jump-Start Your Retirement With My Ultimate Retire-Ready Toolkit
Enter your email address to grab your FREE gift!