You asked and I listened. This summer I asked you all for your thoughts on the show and many people responded that they wanted to hear more deep dives into complex subjects. We tried this out with the Living Off Your Savings series and now we’re taking some extra time to discuss Medicare. This episode is the first of a 4 episode series on Medicare. Grab your headphones and press play to begin your Medicare education.
Since I am not a Medicare expert, I have invited Danielle Roberts with Boomer Benefits to teach us about this nuanced subject. Make sure to stick around until the end of the episode to learn how you can get a free copy of Danielle’s new book, 10 Costly Medicare Mistakes You Can’t Afford to Make.Get ready for a deep dive into Medicare with Medicare expert, Danielle Roberts. Click To Tweet
Outline of This Episode
- [3:22] When should people start looking into Medicare in earnest?
- [7:10] Why is Medicare Easy-Pay a good option?
- [10:03] What will medicare pay for?
- [12:25] What do your taxes pay for?
- [17:15] Part D is an optional drug plan
When should someone start thinking about Medicare?
The official Medicare enrollment period begins 3 months before your 65th birthday and this is often the time when people usually begin to start thinking about Medicare. Age 64.5 is a great time to begin to research your Medicare choices. In addition to Danielle’s book, there are plenty of resources online to help you educate yourself. After you listen to this series, YouTube and the Medicare website are good places to continue learning.What kind of research have you done on Medicare? Click To Tweet
What costs are involved in Medicare?
Some people are surprised to find that Medicare is not free. There are costs involved that you need to be aware of to properly plan for retirement. In addition to the monthly fee taken directly out of your Social Security payment, there are deductibles for inpatient and outpatient services as well as copays or coinsurance for doctor visits. Listen in to understand why it’s important to do your research early on to decide on what kind of extra coverage you may need.
What are the different parts of Medicare?
Medicare Part A is what your Medicare payroll taxes have been paying for all these years and it covers hospital stays. Part B is what gets taken out of your Social Security check each month and this piece covers outpatient care. Medicare Part B pays only 80% so it is important to consider how you will cover the other 20%. This 20% can be supplemented in 2 ways. Listen in to hear what the difference is between Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans.Learn how you can receive a FREE copy of Danielle Roberts' new book! Click To Tweet
How you can receive a FREE copy of Danielle’s book
Danielle is a fountain of Medicare information, so you won’t want to miss this series. On the next episode, you’ll hear what to expect if you retire before or after age 65. If you want a chance to get a free copy of Danielle’s book sign up for the Every Day is Saturday newsletter and respond to that email with a promise to leave an honest review of this podcast and Danielle’s book. So, if you haven’t already signed up for Every Day is Saturday, head over to RetirementStartsToday.com and hit subscribe.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Start here to listen to the Living Off Your Savings series
Connect with Danielle Roberts
- Boomer Benefits
- BOOK – 10 Costly Medicare Mistakes You Can’t Afford to Make by Danielle Roberts
Connect with Benjamin Brandt
- Get the Retire-Ready Toolkit:https://retirementstartstodayradio.com/
- Follow Ben on Twitter:https://twitter.com/retiremeasap
Subscribe to Retirement Starts Today on
Jump-Start Your Retirement With My Ultimate Retire-Ready Toolkit
Enter your email address to grab your FREE gift!